Pages

Monday, May 2, 2011

The G7 Army

The G7 Army – A new army of devoted fans for the one and only, Alex G.
By Ashley Pinkham

YouTube by far is the most commonly known and popular destination for video viewing on the internet. With millions upon millions of views every month YouTube has helped spark imaginations and inspire people all over the world. Whether their inspiration is to simply post hilarious videos for others viewing pleasure or to become the next Taylor Swift, YouTube has become a gateway for inspiring artists everywhere. Many of the most frequent YouTube viewers will attest to having heard of the YouTube sensation and Denver grown musician Tyler Ward and his loyal fan base who call themselves, “Wardinators”. Tyler has dedicated his YouTube popularity to helping promote other promising young musicians, which as of recent, includes a local female singer, Alex G. Tyler and Alex’s extraordinary duet cover of Lady Gaga’s Born This Way which premiered on February 12, 2011 has not only taken “Wardinators” by storm but very well may have begun a new phenomenon of loyal fans who will soon be known as “The G7 Army.” Alex Gronlund also known as AlexGMusic7 from her YouTube channel is a fresh new face to the Denver music scene.
Denver is lucky enough to consistently produce some astonishing homegrown talent and those who have dedicated their lives to their musical aspirations are still reaching for the sky. And although life's obstacles can always get in the way, these gifted artists, like Alex, are still finding ways to make their mark in the local music scene and remain hopeful to one day see their dreams come true. Alex has been singing forever, but it wasn’t until last year that she began to do so in front of an audience. Being involved in her high school’s musicals, she always worked as part of a team. Even now, oftentimes she collaborates with such artists as Jeff Hendrick and Adam Stanton. Still, although she makes a valuable contribution to the musical stylings of others, Alex has shown that she is a shining star in her own right. While exploring her YouTube channel, I noticed that in a couple of her videos, Alex herself picks up the guitar and does a solo act. Believe it or not, when I asked Alex how long she has been playing the guitar, she informed me that she’s only been playing for about 8 months! That’s impressive. After a long day of classes, Alex G. found time to sit down and discuss not only her passion for the industry but overall who AlexGMusic7 really is.

"The first time I heard myself recorded I cried."

Fecund: Describe the feeling you had the first time you heard yourself replayed after being recorded? How about the first time you saw one of your songs on iTunes?
Alex G: The first time I heard myself recorded I cried. I couldn't believe I actually sounded good. The professional quality put me in awe and it was the coolest feeling! When my songs get on iTunes it's really cool because that's how you make the money. Because of the fans and supporters we are able to do music for a living!
Fecund: When do you find time to do music within your busy schedule?
AG: I wish I could spend all of my free time doing music! Really the only thing keeping me from doing it 24/7 is the fact that I'm at school. On weekends, I'll be recording with Tyler Ward or collaborating with other YouTube artists.

Fecund: Do you enjoy collaborating with other artists like Tyler Ward, Eppic, Jeff Hendrick, etc?
AG: I LOVE collaborating with other artists who have a production studio and have the same kind of passion for music that I do. It's awesome when I connect with the artists and it just works. I love it.

Fecund: I know your neighbors with Tyler Ward, How is that?
AG: It's awesome being neighbors with Tyler. Once you get to know him he's just a regular guy with regular habits and tendencies. It's super nice to know you can just go over there and either record an awesome song or just hang out and jam a little bit. He's a very down to earth guy and easy to get along with!

Fecund: Would you say the songs you choose to cover are songs that speak resemblance into your personal life?
AG: For some of the songs I have covered they do relate to my life. Other songs, like most artists, are covered because they are popular. From a business aspect that is necessary to gain viewers.

Fecund: Do you write any of your own songs?
AG: I am starting to write songs and learning how to. I just write down lyrics when they come to me out of certain situations or just randomly in the middle of the day. Eventually when you put them together they create something pretty cool.

Fecund:  How did you get started making videos and putting songs onto YouTube and iTunes?
AG: Well I decided that the best way to overcome my fear of singing in front of people would to be to sing to a camera and post it on YouTube. Eventually after the contest I entered Tyler has helped me put videos out with him. He is the reason I was able to put some songs on iTunes. I get massive exposure with his help.

Fecund: What musicians influence you?
AG: P!nk influences me with the passion she puts into her singing. I want to be able to sing through my gut like her. Also, Taylor Swift influences me with her amazing song writing skills and down to earth attitude. And Stevie Nicks!

Fecund: What’s on your iPod?
AG: My iPod has a lot of Tyler Ward on it actually and a lot of mainstream. I don't listen to my iPod as much as I listen to songs on YouTube.

"I spend most of my free time playing guitar."
Fecund: Tell us about yourself. When were you born, where you are from, do you have any siblings, what interests you besides music, are you in college, what’s your major? Who is your favorite celebrity and a hobby of yours?
AG: I was born April 12, 1992. I've lived in Colorado my entire life and have grown up with a younger sister. I am in LOVE with Carol Burnett and Lucille Ball. They are my favorite people in the whole world. I'm definitely an old soul who appreciates the comedic talents of those back in the day. I believe I was born in the wrong decade. I used to dance for about ten years and I played competitive softball for about 6 years. I'm attending Colorado State University and majoring in Communications. I spend most of my free time playing guitar.

Fecund:  What do you see in your future? Do you ultimately want to be like Justin Beiber and Taylor Swift; being discovered on YouTube and making it big? Or do you have different dreams?
AG: I would LOVE to be discovered by a major record label someday and make it "big". No matter what I want to do music for the rest of my life as a career. It would be like a dream to have happen to me what happened to Taylor and Justin.


Fecund: Are there any future plans for a concert? Either a personal concert or one with someone you have collaborated with?
AG: Well I'm actually doing a few songs in the upcoming Denver show that the Tyler Ward Crew is doing May 29th. It's my first concert EVER and hopefully if I do well I will be able to do more in the future. Maybe a tour?

Fecund: What advice would you give to aspiring artists?
AG: I would say to do whatever you can to expose yourself and show your talents to the world. The best decision I've made is to sing on YouTube and enter a singing contest. Take every opportunity and put your passion into it.

On Alex’s YouTube channel, subscribers have been noted using words like 'amazing,' 'beautiful,' and 'gorgeous' to describe Alex and her music. Among so many rising artists on YouTube channels, AlexGMusic7 has captured the hearts of thousands of viewers. Although the number rises on a daily basis, 24,135 viewers, to be exact, are currently swooning over Alex G.’s breathtaking voice. Her amazing vocals, beautiful demeanor, and gorgeous features will remain in this ever-changing industry for years to come. Log onto YouTube.com and subscribe to AlexGMusic7 and become a part of “The G7 Army” today!
###


No comments:

Post a Comment